Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Grumpy Cat Awarded $710K in Coffee Case

By William Vogeler, Esq. on January 26, 2018 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Don't believe the headlines that the Grumpy Cat won a lawsuit.

Sure, the "Grumpy Cat" is an internet sensation since her owner posted the pouty feline's pictures online years ago. And yes, her owner did win a $710,000 award against a father-and-son business that tried to capitalize on the cat's popularity.

But no, this is not like the selfie-monkey's copyright case. This licensing award goes to the cat's owner, Tabatha Bundesen, and Grumpy Cat Limited.


A Santa Ana jury decided Paul Sandford and son Nick took the scowling cat's likeness and ran with it. They wanted to use it to market a "Grumpy Cat Grumppuccino."

But then they tried to use the cat's images for other products. Plaintiff's attorney David Jonelis said they didn't have permission to do that.

And then there was the talk about a movie that was supposed to star Will Ferrell and Jack Black. The Sandfords counter-claimed that Grumpy Cat Limited failed to participate in promotions.

"What, cat got your tongue?" the lawyer said. (Sorry, that lawyer was me, but I couldn't resist.)

Having Fun Yet?

The media couldn't get enough, spreading worldwide reports about the court decision. The Washington Post got more hits for its tale than the Pentagon Papers story.

"Grumpy Cat owner awarded over $700,000 in lawsuit," the Post website said. "Cat still won't smile."

Tardar Sauce, the cat's real name, can't help it either. Her permanent frown is due to a dwarfism condition.

It goes without saying the cat has no clue about all of this.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard