Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Amber Portwood Gets 5-Year Sentence, Goes to Rehab Instead

By Cynthia Hsu, Esq. on February 08, 2012 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

For Amber Portwood, a rehab sentence is likely preferable to spending years in jail. The Teen Mom was originally sentenced to lengthy five-year prison term.

She received three years for a drug violation and two years for a probation violation, according to the Long Island Press.

Portwood is currently in custody. The reality TV star has been in jail in Indiana since last month. She entered a plea deal with prosecutors to spending time in a rehab facility instead of a jail cell.

Portwood will remain in jail until she is approved for a rehab program. At that point she will be released from custody and transferred to the appropriate facility.

This process might take several weeks. So it's otherwise unclear when Portwood will begin her treatment.

Portwood has faced numerous legal issues in the past. She was once shown beating her then fiancé Gary Shirley on television. She also failed to comply with some of her probation requirements. She hit a woman after drinking at a restaurant, didn't get a GED certificate, failed to complete anger management courses, and failed to pay probation fees. Portwood also neglected to set up a college trust fund for her daughter.

And last year she landed herself in rehab after an attempted suicide.

Portwood will need to endeavor to complete the rehab program without a hitch. If she complies with all of its terms her case will be dropped. If she doesn't, she could end up back in jail.

For Teen Mom Amber Portwood, rehab seems like the best path. Let's just hope that she gets her life back on track after she is released.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard