Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Amy Winehouse's $4.6M Estate Goes to Her Parents

By Stephanie Rabiner, Esq. on March 29, 2012 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

When Amy Winehouse died in July, the first thing everyone wanted to know was how it happened. The second thing everyone wanted to know? What would happen to Amy Winehouse's estate.

Recently released probate records indicate that Winehouse's estate -- after taxes -- is worth about $4.6 million U.S. They also state that the singer died without a will.

Her parents will get everything.

The same thing would happen if Amy Winehouse had died in the United States. All fifty states and the U.K. have what is called an "intestacy" statute. When an individual dies without a will or other estate planning documents, they are said to die "intestate." The relevant statute will determine who will inherit from their estate and how much.

When an unmarried adult without children dies without a will, their estate is typically distributed to their surviving parent(s). If no parent is still alive, the estate will usually be distributed to the decedent's living siblings in equal part.

Winehouse died unmarried and without children, according to Forbes. Because both of her parents are still alive, the applicable statute says that they split her estate. Her brother is thus left with nothing.

For some, this may seem like a perfectly reasonable way to distribute Amy Winehouse's estate. Others may think it fails to consider her relationship with any friends or family members. Unfortunately, this is what happens when you die without a will. That's why estate planning documents (like a will) are the only way to have control over your assets when you die.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard