Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Cuba Gooding Jr. Arrest Warrant for Shoving Bartender

By Andrew Lu on August 01, 2012 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Cuba Gooding Jr. had an arrest warrant issued against him for allegedly shoving a New Orleans bartender.

The Academy Award-winning actor reportedly entered a Bourbon Street bar with a group and was annoyed when he was recognized by others and asked to pose in photos. Gooding Jr. apparently became "very aggravated" and a bartender asked him to calm down.

That's when Gooding Jr. allegedly shoved the female bartender with an open hand. The actor is said to have shoved the bartender a second time when she told him the cops were coming and that he had to leave, reports the Los Angeles Times.

Police issued a battery arrest warrant against Cuba Gooding Jr. and the actor's lawyer reportedly contacted the New Orleans police on his behalf.

Generally, an arrest warrant allows the police to make a lawful arrest of the suspect on sight. To get an arrest warrant, the police usually need probable cause that the subject of the warrant committed the crime, and a judge or magistrate will need to sign off on the warrant.

It's not clear if Gooding Jr. will turn himself over to the police, but the actor is "taking necessary actions," reports the Times. Cuba Gooding Jr. may face criminal charges related to the arrest warrant, but given the nature of the incident as reported, it seems unlikely that he will face any jail time.

The actor's lawyer stepped in for a reason here. If you are charged with a crime, or have an arrest warrant issued against you, you should contact a criminal defense attorney. The criminal law procedures can be very complex, and a good attorney will help guide you through the process and help your defense.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard