Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Divorce Papers: Jennifer Freeman Attacked NBA Star Husband

By Laura Strachan, Esq. on August 12, 2010 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Jennifer Freeman, star of the television show "My Wife and Kids" is also starring in her own domestic drama with her husband, NBA player Earl Watson. The 24 year-old Freeman did not like the sound of a text message her husband of one year received and instead of hitting the delete button, she hit something else in her reach -- her husband.

Freeman hit Watson twice in the face before biting him hard enough to draw blood from his chest. The crimson tide did not stop the outburst, as she also tried to attack the Indiana Pacer player with an iron before Watson was able to gain control of the situation, reports the New York Daily News.

Rather than filing a restraining order, Earl Watson sought an immediate divorce from Freeman, as well as custody of the couple's ten month-old daughter. In a statement released by Watson's attorney, the divorce was an overreaction as, "The couple has reconciled their differences and plans to make their marriage work."

Although this couple seems to be enjoying a Hollywood ending, accusations of abuse can play a big role in divorce proceedings. Child custody and visitation rights are just a couple areas of a divorce that are greatly impacted by accusations of a party's propensity for violence -- as courts are obviously reluctant to place a child in an abusive situation. Violence can also come into play outside of divorce court, as the victim can press charges for the assault. Although the majority of domestic violence cases involve male violence, Jennifer Freeman's attack on her husband shows that abuse can come from either party to a marriage.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard