Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Jackson's Ex Debbie Rowe Wins Defamation Suit

By Kamika Dunlap on March 08, 2010 | Last updated on June 18, 2021

Michael Jackson's ex-wife Debbie Rowe won a defamation suit filed against a woman who allegedly gave false reports about her to the media after the singer's death.

A judge granted Rowe a $27,000 judgment which includes damages for the emotional distress that she says she suffered after the interview aired on the "Extra" television show.

As reported by the AP, the lawsuit claimed that Rebbeca White shared e-mails, purportedly authored by Rowe, with Extra TV, stating that Rowe did not want custody of the King of Pop's children and was only interested in financial gain.

The stories based on White's emails were not only televised on Extra but were on the show's Web site.

Rowe filed a defamation and invasion-of-privacy lawsuit.

In general, defamation is any intentional false communication, either written or spoken, that harms a person's reputation. Defamation comes in two forms: libel (if the statements are written, broadcast or otherwise published) and slander (if the statements are transitory).

The suit claims White has a history of manufacturing lies about celebs including Naomi Campbell, Kate Moss and Heath Ledger.

But White never responded to Rowe's lawsuit. As a result, Rowe is $27,000 richer.

As previously discussed, full permanent custody of Michael Jackson's three children was awarded Jackson's mother, Katherine Jackson, with visitation provisions for Rowe.

She has visitation rights with her two biological children with Jackson -- Prince Michael, 12, and Paris, 11, under the terms of the agreement.

The biological mother of Jackson's third child, Prince Michael II, 7, also known as Blanket, has never been revealed.

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard