Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Katie Holmes Gets Front-Page Apology, Settles Suit

By Stephanie Rabiner, Esq. on April 28, 2011 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

A lot has been said about Katie Holmes since she married then-crazy Tom Cruise and birthed his love child.

But until recently, the former Dawson's Creek star let it go. But when celebrity tabloid Star Magazine insinuated that she was turning to drugs to help cope with the world of Scientology, she sued.

And now that $50 million libel suit has settled.

In January, a Star article about Katie Holmes discussing her recent appearance at Scientology counseling sessions was accompanied by a cover that read "Addiction Nightmare. Katie Drug Shocker."

Even though the headline was the only reference to drug use, Reuters reports that she still sued.

Katie Holmes and the magazine have now come to an understanding. She has agreed to drop the lawsuit in exchange for a front and center apology to be published in Star's May 9th issue.

The truth is that Star probably would have won the libel suit if Katie Holmes took them to court.

Libel involving persons in the public eye requires the plaintiff to prove malice--an actual intent to harm. Star may have blatantly ignored the facts, but even that isn't sufficient enough to prove intent.

The magazine probably felt that it was a lot cheaper to settle with Katie Holmes than deal with the hassle of legal fees and court dates.

Plus they got a tax write-off.

According to Reuters, they also agreed to make a "substantial donation" to a nonprofit dance foundation Holmes supports.

One has to sincerely hope that it is in no way affiliated with Scientology.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard