Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Lindsay Lohan Name Change: Just Lindsay, as in Cher or Madonna

By Stephanie Rabiner, Esq. on March 28, 2011 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

There's only one Lindsay.

Okay, maybe not. But rumor has it that a Lindsay Lohan name change is in the works and the actress/singer thinks she's a big enough star to be known only by her first name.

Lindsay is no Madonna. And despite their similar, uh, mental issues, she's not even a Britney. So what's the deal?

Apparently Miss Lohan, along with her sister Ali and mother Dina, no longer wants to be associated with abusive daddy Michael. While the other two ladies are making a move back to Dina's maiden name, reports the Los Angeles Times, Lindsay has more grandiose plans.

Dropping her surname may make the already unbearable star even worse, but chances are that a judge won't stop a Lindsay Lohan name change.

Most states permit a name change to occur naturally--all you have to do is start using the new name in social and business situations. Hypothetically, Lindsay can drop the Lohan in all press materials, effectuating a name change.

Unfortunately, official documentation is often necessary when signing government or legal documents, which means that an official name change is Lindsay's best bet. She'll have to fill out a few forms and submit them to a court for approval.

Courts usually only deny requested name changes when their purpose is to defraud, commit a crime, or if the name is confusing, offensive, or an odd attempt to take the name of a famous person. Just Lindsay doesn't call any of these restrictions to mind.

Though a Lindsay Lohan name change would be completely legal, it still reeks of a desperate attempt to stay in the headlines.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard