Block on Trump's Asylum Ban Upheld by Supreme Court
Marriages made in heaven are rare. Most of them are made right here on earth, and often by couples less committed to the union than they claimed in their wedding vows. Death does not part many -- divorce does.
Nearly half of American marriages end in divorce, according to the American Psychological Association. Some of these unions barely start before the parting begins, lasting less than a week. Here are the ten shortest celebrity marriages in relatively recent history, listed in order from most brief to longest.
The Short List
1. Britney Spears and Jason Alexander: Pop star Britney Spears and her childhood friend Jason Alexander were married in 2004 for 55 hours. The marriage started in Las Vegas and ended in annulment.
2. Dennis Rodman and Carmen Electra: Basketball hero Dennis Rodman married actress Carmen Electra in 1998. Like Britney and Jason, above, the Rodman-Electra union was made official in Vegas and ended in an annulment nine days later.
3. Cher and Greg Allman: Pop diva Cher and rocker Greg Allman are another example of an awesome Vegas union that ended after nine days. They were married and divorced in 1975.
4. Drew Barrymore and Jeremy Thomas: Actress Drew Barrymore got married for a hot minute in 1994. She was only 19 years old when she married Jeremy Thomas, a 32-year-old bar owner. She filed for divorce after 39 days.
5. Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries: Reality TV star Kim Kardashian was famously married to football player Kris Humphries for 72 days in 2011. The festivities were filmed for a television special called "Kim's Fairytale Wedding," which obviously fell somewhat short of a dream. She got another chance at fantasy when she married Kanye West last May.
6. Nicolas Cage and Lisa Marie Presley: Actor Nicolas Cage was married to singer Lisa Marie Presley for 107 days in 2002. He filed for divorce and the termination proceedings reportedly lasted longer than the marriage.
7. Pamela Anderson and Kid Rock: Actress Pamela Anderson and musician Kid Rock were married for 122 days in 2006. Anderson had a miscarriage early in the short-lived marriage and filed for divorce 17 days later.
8. Drew Barrymore and Tom Green: Drew Barrymore gave it another go, marrying Canadian comic Tom Green in 2001. They couple eloped. Barrymore filed for divorce after six months, or 163 days. She has since married again and has two children with her latest husband, Will Kopelman.
9. Jennifer Lopez and Cris Judd: In 2001, pop star and actress Jennifer Lopez was briefly married to dancer Cris Judd for 218 days.
10. Renee Zellweger and Kenney Chesney: Actress Renee Zellweger was married to country music star Kenney Chesney in 2005 and the marriage was annulled 225 days later.
Moral of the Story
The moral of this story is: don't rush signing marriage papers. If you are consider tying the knot, think long and hard. Make sure you want death, rather than courts, to be the thing that does you and your boo part.