Rapper Fetty Wap Facing Fines, Possible Jail Time, for NJ Moto Violations
Rapper Fetty Wap was cited for three driving violations after he crashed his motorcycle into a car on Saturday in Paterson, New Jersey. "Wap is Gucci everybody thank you for your prayers," tweeted DJ Louie Styles, who was at the pop star's side in the hospital, where he was being treated for a broken leg.
Wap may be feeling Gucci, but Willie Maxwell -- the rapper's real name -- is facing fines and potentially jail time. He was cited for driving without a license, failure to carry insurance, and no registration, according to Paterson Police Director Jerry Speziale.
No Moto License in New Jersey
Riding a motorcycle in New Jersey -- and pretty much everywhere else -- requires a special license or an endorsement for an existing driver's license. Driving without a license is a serious motor vehicle offense with the following penalties (the penalties will vary depending on whether or not the driver has ever been licensed in New Jersey):
- Driving without a license or with an expired license where offender has never been licensed in N.J. or elsewhere carries a minimum fine of $200 and a maximum of $500. Offenders also face up to 60 days in jail and are barred from receiving a license for at least 180 days.
- Driving without a license or with an expired license where the offender has been licensed in NJ or elsewhere has no minimum fine but a maximum of $500 and up to 60 days in jail.
No Liability Insurance
Wap has had three top-ten hits in the past year and could surely afford insurance. Failure to obtain it is a big deal to the state of New Jersey. Broken leg aside, Wap will not be riding his motorcycle again for some time to come.
- A first failure to carry motor vehicle insurance coverage is punishable by a fine of $300-$1000 and a period of community service as determined by the court, and suspension of driving privileges for one year.
- A subsequent insurance offense subjects the violator to 14 days in jail, thirty days of community service and a two-year suspension of driving privileges .
Wap was also reportedly cited for failing to show registration for his motorcycle. Depending on the specifics of the ticket written for Wap, and his residency in New Jersey, Wap faces fines of up to $250 for this citation or $500 and up to 60 days in jail.
It should also be noted that the penalties listed for all of these traffic violations do not include court costs and assessments. This crash could end up costing Wap quite a bit, and it's not just the state he has to worry about.
Pop Star Lawsuit Target
There has been little reported on the woman whose car Wap crashed into. But chances are good that she will get a lawyer and that her counsel will make much of Wap's administrative failures. Perhaps the state of New Jersey will be more kind.
- Penalties for Hitting the Road With No Motorcycle License (FindLaw's Blotter)
- Motorcycle Accidents FAQ (FindLaw)
- Helmet Laws (FindLaw)
You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help
Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.