April 15 Tax Filing Deadline
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is reminding taxpayers that April 15 is the deadline for filing your 2007 federal income tax return. Taxpayers who need more time to file can get an automatic six-month extension by filing a Form 4868, Automatic Extension of Time to File with the IRS by the April 15 deadline. The extension gives taxpayers until October 15, 2008 to file their 2007 return. But this extension of time to file is not an extension of time to pay. You should pay any taxes you owe by the April 15 deadline; otherwise, or you will accrue interest and possible penalties.
- More Last-Minute Filing Tips from the IRS
- Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File (IRS) [PDF file]
- Filing and Paying Taxes Late (FindLaw)
- Filing Late Returns FAQ (FindLaw)
- FindLaw's Tax Center - Updated for 2008
You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help
Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.