Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Baby Food Recall over Botulism Concern: Plum Organics Apple & Carrot

By Admin on October 20, 2009 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Plum Organics has recalled containers of its Apple & Carrot Baby Food in Portable Pouches. The recall includes pouches with a best buy date of May 21, 2010 and "890180001221" marked on the bottom of the package. Plum initiated the recall out of concern over risk of potential contamination with Clostridium botulinum, the bacteria associated with food borne botulism.

These have been sold at Toys-R-Us and Babies-R-Us stores, where they can be returned for a refund.

Here is information from the Center for Disease Control about botulism. It points out that:

"Infants with botulism appear lethargic, feed poorly, are constipated, and have a weak cry and poor muscle tone. These are all symptoms of the muscle paralysis caused by the bacterial toxin. If untreated, these symptoms may progress to cause paralysis of the arms, legs, trunk and respiratory muscles. In food borne botulism, symptoms generally begin 18 to 36 hours after eating a contaminated food, but they can occur as early as 6 hours or as late as 10 days."

According to Plum's press release, the recall comes after testing showed that the "formulation was incorrect" and that "a mixing error was to blame which resulted in an improper blend of carrots and apples." It's unclear how an improper blend of carrots and apples would lead to contamination with Clostridium botulinum.

Though no information has been given as to exactly what caused any contamination in the Plum Organics pouches, botulism has been and remains a concern for commercial and home canned foods.

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard