February is African-American History Month
Each February, America celebrates African-American History Month. This year's theme is "The Quest for Black Citizenship in the Americas," recognizing the importance of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) and its role in furthering equality and social justice.
In light of this year's theme, the Library of Congress reminds Americans that "a century ago, an interracial group of Americans joined together and formed the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP)," and that "the centennial of the NAACP is an occasion to highlight the problem of race and citizenship in American history, from the experiences of free Blacks in a land of slavery to the political aspirations of African Americans today."
In a Proclamation issued Monday, President Barack Obama delcared that "This year's theme, 'The Quest for Black Citizenship in the Americas,' is a chance to examine the evolution of our country and how African Americans helped draw us ever closer to becoming a more perfect union."
Click on the links below for more information on African-American History Month, special events commemorating African-American history, and civil rights:
- African-American History Month (Library of Congress)
- Presidential Proclamation: African-American History Month 2009 (WhiteHouse.gov)
- History of the NAACP (NAACP.org)
- Association for the Study of African-American Life and History - Founders of Black History Month (ASALH.org)
- MSNBC: Today in Black History Month
- History.com: Black History Milestones and Features
- Washington Post: Black History Month Events
- Civil Rights History and Timeline of Events (FindLaw)
- Landmark U.S. Supreme Court Decisions on Civil Rights (FindLaw)
- Civil Rights News - The Latest Headlines (FindLaw News)
- Civil Rights Center (FindLaw)
You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help
Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.