FSIS Announces Beef Product Recall for Undeclared Allergen
The Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) of the USDA recently announced a recall of approximately 140,000 pounds of fully cooked assorted meat products. Westlake Food Corporation, a Santa Ana, Calif., company, is recalling approximately 140,000 pounds of fully cooked assorted meat products because they contain an undeclared allergen, wheat starch. Wheat is a known allergen and it is not declared on the products' label.
The FSIS has listed the following products as under recall:
- 14-ounce packages of "GIO LUA TAY HO PORK MEAT LOAF WRAPPED IN BANANA LEAVES FULLY COOKED."
- 13-ounce packages of "BO VIEN TAY HO BEEF MEAT BALL FULLY COOKED."
- 14-ounce packages of "DOI GIO HEO TAY HO CURED PORK HOCK SAUSAGE WITH ONION WRAPPED IN PORK SKIN FULLY COOKED."
- 15-ounce packages of "CHA CHIIEN TAY HO FRIED PORK PATTIE FRIED IN VEGETABLE OIL FULLY COOKED."
- 13-ounce packages of "BO VIEN GAN TAY HO BEEF MEAT BALL WITH BEEF TENDON FULLY COOKED," produced between April 15, 2009 and April 14, 2010.
Each package bears the establishment number "EST. 1627A" inside the USDA mark of inspection. The assorted meat products were produced between January 1, 2010 and April 14, 2010, unless otherwise noted above. These products were distributed to restaurants and retail establishments nationwide. To view a pdf of the labels, click here.
The problem was discovered by FSIS during a routine inspection. FSIS and the company have received no reports of illness or adverse reactions due to consumption of these products.
Consumers with questions about the recall can contact Oanh Dam at (714) 973-2286. The toll-free USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline 1-888-MPHotline (1-888-674-6854) is available in English and Spanish and can be reached from l0 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Eastern Time) Monday through Friday.
- California Firm Recalls Assorted Meat Products Due To Mislabeling And An Undeclared Allergen (FSIS)
- Recall: Kroger Stores' Chicken Wings Contain Undeclared Allergens (FindLaw's Injured)
- Food Recalls (FindLaw)
- Product Liability Resources (provided by Gerash Steiner & Toray, P.C.)
You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help
Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.