Jardine Crib Recall Expanded Due to Toddler Injury Risk
Crib manufacturer Jardine Enterprises and the federal government have announced the expansion of a June 2008 recall of Jardine wooden cribs, due to an ongoing entrapment and strangulation hazard to babies.
About 56,000 Jardine wooden cribs -- sold at retail stores like Babies ‘R’ Us, KidsWorld, and Geoffrey’s World from March 2004 through January 2009 for between $220 and $330 -- are being recalled, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). Wooden slats on the crib can break and create a gap that can pose an entrapment and strangulation hazard to infants and toddlers, CPSC warns. In June, CPSC and Jardine announced an initial recall of about 320,000 of the Jardine wooden cribs, after the agency received reports of 42 incidents of crib slats and spindles breaking, causing four children to became entrapped in the resulting gaps, and resulting in at least two injuries.
Crib recalls continue to make the news in 2009, after a number of high-profile stories in 2008. In October, almost 1.6 million cribs manufactured by Delta Enterprise Corp. and sold at retailers throughout the U.S. -- including K-Mart, Target, and Walmart -- were recalled because two potential defects in the cribs' "drop side" mechanism posed an entrapment and suffocation hazard for infants.
- CPSC News Release on Expansion on Jardine Crib Recall (CPSC.gov)
- CPSC News Release on June 2008 Jardine Crib Recall (CPSC.gov)
- Jardine Crib Recall Information (JardineCribRecall.com)
- 1.6 Million Cribs Recalled Due to Suffocation Risk (FindLaw’s Common Law Blog 10/22/08)
- Crib Safety and SIDS Reduction (CPSC.gov)
- Building Baby Safety from the Ground Up (CPSC.gov)
- Personal Injuries from Dangerous or Defective Products (provided by Garland, Samuel & Loeb)
- Parenting Tips and Keeping Your Child Safe (FindLaw)
- Defective and Dangerous Products (FindLaw)
You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help
Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.