Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Laptop Stolen: How to Protect Your Identity After Theft

By Admin on January 04, 2011 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Laptops, loved for their portable nature, are also a popular item to steal for that very reason. One study reports that a laptop is stolen every 12 seconds. Knowing this, there are steps that should be taken before and after the theft has occurred in order to protect your identity.

Once it is determined that your laptop is stolen you should begin taking proactive steps to protect your identity and the potentially confidential information that was contained on your device. This includes changing passwords and usernames as soon as possible. Doing so will hopefully allow you to protect the information before the thief gets to it. In reality, the majority of laptop theft has to do with re-selling the laptop rather than getting at sensitive information. However, the potential is there, the effects of which can be very damaging.

Unfortunately, a stolen laptop may make for awkward but necessary conversation with your boss and employees as well as clients. Notifying anyone and everyone of the theft will not only serve to expedite the process of retrieving and saving information but a client has a right to know that their confidential information may be seen by those outside the circle of trust and also give them a chance to engage in protective measures such as changing passwords if necessary.

Finally, backing up data on a regular basis as well as purchasing a computer tracking system are both excellent options that will help lessen the blow of a stolen laptop as well as help to potentially find the item.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard