Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Costco Lunch Boxes Recalled: Leaking Freezer Gel is Poisonous

By Admin on January 26, 2012 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Approximately 248,000 lunch boxes have been recalled by the U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission. The Ci Sport lunch boxes come with three pieces including an insulated box, water bottle, and a freezer gel pack.

California Innovations Inc. sold the products in Costco Wholesale Clubs, Leon Korol, and Cost U Less stores between May 2007 and September 2008. The products cost around $10 at the time. It came in several colors including navy/blue, red, black, and denim blue.

The problem is with the gel packs. Damaged freezer gel packs may leak and could be poisonous if ingested. There have been two reports of dogs chewing and ingesting some of the freezer gel. One dog died. The other recovered.

The gel could pose a risk to children and adults if not handled properly, according to Consumer Reports. The gel contains diethylene glycol and ethylene glycol which is dangerous if consumed. Parents with small children should be cautious.

The recalled lunch boxes have the code "1-61731-99-57" printed on a white label inside the box's main compartment.

Consumers are advised to stop using the gel packs at once. Gel packs should be disposed of properly according to your relevant state or local statutes.

The lunch boxes under recall may be returned to Costco for a full refund. Customers may also get a $5 refund for the CI Sport lunch box's gel pack by contacting California Innovations. The company can be reached by phone at (800) 722-2545 or by email at Consumers can also check the company's website at

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard