Block on Trump's Asylum Ban Upheld by Supreme Court
A South Carolina woman has been diagnosed with a case of necrotizing fasciitis -- just weeks after Georgia college student Aimee Copeland began her battle with the flesh-eating bacteria.
Lana Kuykendall is currently hospitalized in Greenville and appears to be in relatively stable condition. The 36-year-old contracted the bacteria just days after giving birth to twins. Her delivery was relatively normal, according to CBS News.
However, the day after, she felt pain in her leg and was unable to move. Tests revealed nothing was wrong, reports The Greenville News. But then she noticed a growing bruise on her calf and was rushed back to the hospital. Doctors luckily suspected the cause and immediately took her into surgery.
It's unclear how Lana Kuykendall contracted the flesh-eating bacteria, but it's not as uncommon as we'd like to think. There are about 750 cases a year, according to The Greenville News, and many of them are caused by the A Strep bacteria, which is the same bacteria that causes strep throat.
The bacteria enters the system through a cut in the skin, such as after surgery. Some women have also contracted it through natural childbirth.
There's no indication at this point that hospital staff was negligent or had some part in Kuykendall's condition. They very well may have taken all proper precautions to ensure that she was healthy post-delivery. Given that hospitals house sick people, it's impossible to make them free from bacteria.
Nonetheless, you can bet medical personnel will try and figure out how Lana Kuykendall contracted the flesh-eating bacteria. It's important information that can help doctors prevent this from happening again.
Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.