Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Online Dating Sites Agree to Screen for Sex Offenders

By Admin on March 22, 2012 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Dating sites, eHarmony and Spark Networks are ramping up their efforts to ensure online dating safety. The three companies have reached an agreement with the California attorney general's office, and will begin to check subscribers against public sex-offender registries.

The agreement appears to be the result of a few high-profile incidents. Last year, a woman sued after she was raped by a man she met on the site. The man had previously been convicted of sexual battery, yet was still allowed to subscribe.

In April, Joseph Raymond Garcia was convicted of raping three women he met on, according to the Los Angeles Times. He used a fake personal profile and grossly exaggerated his yearly income.

In addition to screening for sex offenders, the sites have also agreed to search for fake profiles, provide users with a quick way to report abuse, and post a list of online dating safety tips. They will also provide the California attorney general's office with reports of suspected criminal behavior, according to the Associated Press.

Though a step in the right direction, the agreement is unfortunately non-binding. There are no enforcement penalties, according to a spokeswoman for the attorney general's office. This means the sites can renege at any time without much repercussion.

For this reason it is best not to rely on any dating site to screen your date, or to ensure that a user's profile is real. They can and will only do so much, which means it is ultimately up to you to follow the rules of online dating safety.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard