Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Thanksgiving Alert: Smoked Turkey Recall

By Admin on November 22, 2010 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Heads up! There are recalled smoked turkeys on the loose.

New Braunfels Smokehouse of Texas has recalled 2,609 pounds of (not so) ready-to-eat smoked turkey breast. The turkey may be contaminated with Listeria. For those of you scoring at home, Listeria is a bacteria named after the English pioneer of sterile surgery, Joseph Lister. Listeria bacteria can cause listeriosis, a rare but potentially lethal food-borne infection. In addition, Listeria can cause miscarriages, stillbirths and a potentially fatal infection in those with weakened immune systems. Even in people with healthy immune systems, it can wreak havoc.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service found the possible contamination in the course of routine sampling. The turkey products in the smoked turkey recall were made August 4, 2010 and bear the mark "P-975." The turkey was sold nationwide.

According to The Associated Press, the recalled turkey includes:

  • 1-pound packages of New Braunfels Smokehouse Sliced Smoked Turkey with package code 2210 on the label.
  • 4-to 6-pound packages of New Braunfels Honey-Glazed Spiral Sliced Smokehouse Hickory Smoked Boneless Breast of Turkey with package code 2180.
  • 4-to 6-pound whole breast packages of Stegall Boneless Hickory Smoked Turkey Breast with package code 2210.
  • 4-to 6-pound whole breast packages of Stegall Spiral Sliced Hickory Smoked Turkey Breast with package code 2180 or 2210.

If you have a turkey-related question, contact New Braunfels Smokehouse at 800-537-6932.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard