Trader Joe's Recalls Walnuts, Almonds: What You Need to Know
Nut eaters beware! In the last two weeks, Trader Joe's has issued two recalls: one for almonds possibly contaminated with peanuts, and one for walnuts possibly contaminated with salmonella.
Here's what consumers need to know:
On March 12, 2015, Trader Joe's posted a notice on its website recalling its Cinnamon Almonds.
The almonds may contain peanuts which were not mentioned on the packaging. While some people may be able to eat almonds, which are tree nuts, they may be allergic to peanuts, which are legumes.
The company warns customers with peanut allergies to throw the Cinnamon Almonds away or return them to Trader Joe's for a full refund. Even if you do not have a nut allergy, Trader Joe's will still honor the recall and refund your purchase. Trader Joe's has removed the product from its shelves and suspended sales until the problem can be remedied.
In a potentially more worrisome issue, Trader Joe's is recalling its raw walnut products due to possible Salmonella contamination.
The company discovered the possible contamination after routine testing. Salmonella can cause fever, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain. More serious infections can also cause arterial infections, endocarditis, and arthritis.
Trader Joe's reports that it has not yet received any complaints or reports of salmonella infection, but decided to issue the recall anyway out of an abundance of caution.
If you've bought Trader Joe's Raw Walnuts, check to see if your bag of nuts are including in this recall. UPC codes, "Best By" dates, and lot numbers can be found on the back of packages of Raw California Walnuts. For packages of Organic Raw Walnuts, the "Best By" date can be found on the front of the package.
The recalled Raw Walnut products include:
- 00373685 Trader Joe’s Nuts Raw California Walnut Pieces – 16 oz., 12/2015, GU4345
- 00943338 Trader Joe’s Nuts Raw California Walnut Halves & Pieces – 16 oz., 12/2015, GU4346
- 00519342 Trader Joe’s Nuts Raw California Walnut Baking Pieces – 16 oz., 12/2015, GU4350
- 00519328 Trader Joe’s Nuts Raw California Premium Walnut Halves – 16oz., 12/2015, GU4343, GU4344, GU4351, GU4352
- 00586627 Trader Joe’s Organic Raw Walnut Halves & Pieces – 12oz., Oct. 15, 2015 to Dec. 1 2015
If you have purchased any recalled Raw Walnut products, do not eat them. Throw the products away or return them to Trader Joe's for a full refund.
- Trader Joe’s Recalls Walnuts Over Salmonella Risk (Yahoo Health)
- Peanut Recall of 2009 Leads to Criminal Charges (FindLaw's Injured)
- FDA Campfire Stories: 3 Spooky Food Recalls (FindLaw's Injured)
- $12M Settlement Approved in Peanut Salmonella Case (FindLaw's Decided)
You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help
Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.