Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Baseball Fan Hits $10K Home Run in Yankee Stadium Potty Break Lawsuit

By Joel Zand on July 07, 2009 5:01 PM

One baseball fan snagged over $10,000 in a legal settlement with New York City after he was ousted from Yankee Stadium last summer for trying to take a potty break while 'God Bless America.' was being sung during the seventh-inning stretch.

"I don't care about God Bless America, I just need to use the bathroom," Bradford Campeau-Laurion said he told New York's finest.  Refusing his request, NYPD officers then reportedly manhandled him out of the stadium.

Bradford Campeau-Laurion filed a federal lawsuit against the New York Yankees, N.Y.P.D., and New York City, charging that police violated his civil rights at the August 26, 2008 game against the Boston Red Sox It was Boston's last visit to the old Yankee Stadium.

In his lawsuit, the Director of Web Production at Forbes said that two NYPD officers responded by grabbing and twisting his arms behind his back, then forcibly ejected him from the Bronx Bombers' former home.  Campeau-Laurion charged that one officer who pushed him out of the stadium "told him to get of this country if he didn't like 'it'."

The civil rights lawsuit was settled for the $10,001, with another $12,000 in attorneys fees paid to his attorneys at the New York Civil Liberties Union.  The New York Yankees were represented by attorneys at Boies, Schiller & Flexner.  In typical settlement fashion, the defendants did not admit any liability. 

Campeau-Laurion is likely to be singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame...Not Out of the Ballpark!" With MLB ticket sales down this year, the settlement could get him great seats at whatever game --  in whatever stadium -- he chooses.

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard