Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Bill O'Reilly Sued for Defamation by Former Fox News Anchor

By Ceylan Pumphrey, Esq. on March 23, 2018 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Almost one year ago, Fox News host Bill O'Reilly lost his job when it came to light that he had paid over $13 million to keep quiet sexual harassment lawsuits from women at the television network. It appears that O'Reilly's troubles haven't ended as one of these women, ex-anchor Laurie Dhue, has filed a federal defamation lawsuit against O'Reilly after he denied mistreating her.

Defamation in the Form of Denials

An article published in the New York Times in April 2017, included information that Dhue was paid over $1 million by 21st Century Fox to settle sexual harassment claims. In response to article, O'Reilly remained defiant and said the claims were "completely unfounded."

Dhue's complaint quotes several denial that O'Reilly made on his own show as well as in various interviews. She says that such statements are not only defamatory but also damaged her career, since credibility is extremely important to being a reporter. The complaint states:

"As part of his desperate campaign to clear his name, O'Reilly published false statements about Dhue -- as well as the other women -- calling her a liar, swearing that her allegations were fabricated in an effort to obtain a settlement, falsely asserting that her purported claims against O'Reilly were politically motivated, and lying by saying that he only paid settlements to avoid having his family go through litigation, not because he had engaged in the claimed sexual misconduct."

You can read the full lawsuit below:

Laurie Dhue Federal Defamation Complaint by FindLaw on Scribd

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard