Florida Seeks Death Penalty in Billings Family Murders
Florida is seeking death penalties against four suspects in the Billings family murders:
According to Florida State's attorney William 'Bill' Eddins, the death penalty will be sought against the following four (out of the original seven) suspects: Leonard Gonzalez, Jr., Wayne Thomas Caldiron, Donald Ray Stallworth, and Patrick Lee Thornton.
They were arrested and charged this summer with murdering Byrd and Melanie Billings, the Florida couple who adopted a number of special needs children, some of whom were reportedly inside the house when the couple was slain.
You can read Florida's death penalty notice for the Billings family murder suspects here:
You can read Florida's indictment and the detailed allegations in the criminal complaints for more of the suspects arrested on FindLaw here:
- Indictments (Fla. v. Gonzalez, Sr., et al.)
- Arrest Warrants in the Billings family slayings
- Fla. Grand Jury Indicts 7 For Billings Family Murders, FindLaw (Aug. 11, 2009)
- >Arrests in Murder of Fla. Couple Who Adopted Special Needs Kids, FindLaw (Jul. 15, 2009)
- State's Attorney's Office - Pensacola, Fla.
- William Eddins, Escambio County State Attorney
- Resources for Crime Victims and their Families
You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help
Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.