Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

'Jimmy' King Pleads Guilty in NJ Public Corruption Scandal

By Joel Zand on September 25, 2009 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

James "Jimmy" King, the 67-year-old former executive director of the Jersey City Parking Authority, unsuccessful candidate for Jersey City Council, and head of the 'Jimmy King Civic Association', pleaded guilty to federal criminal charges yesterday for his role in the feds' corruption sting charges against New Jersey officials this summer. You can read King's plea agreement below.

The ex-lawman -- King was once an undersheriff for Hudson County, NJ -- was recorded accepting thousands of dollars in bribes, included $5,000 in cash from the trunk of the government's cooperating witness, convicted bank fraudster Solomon Dwek (inset, left).

Under the terms of his plea agreement, he could face up to 16 months in federal prison.

According to allegations in the original criminal complaint against King (see below), after he accepted the cash bribe from the government's information, he was overhead by federal agents promising Dwek that he would expedite his request for zoning changes on properties he claimed to own in Jersey City.

An FBI affidavit states that King then stressed to Dwek: "I don't care what it is. It's done." When Dwek responded by saying "okay," King allegedly reaffirmed his position by again emphasizing he would support whatever the government's informant wanted: "[n]ame it. Done."

You can read James 'Jimmy' King's original charges here:

You can read James 'Jimmy' King's plea agreement, and acknowledgment that he accepted and will return some $7,500 in illegal bribes, here:


Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard