Splitsville for SC Gov. Mark Sanford and First Lady Jenny Sanford
A judge in Charleston, South Carolina officially called it splitsville for South Carolina First Lady Jenny Sanford and her adulterous spouse, Gov. Mark Sanford -- at least in another month when the judge signs the official paperwork after a legal waiting period.
Family Court Judge Jocelyn Cate ruled that Gov. Sanford's candid admission about his affair with Argentinian journalist Maria Belén Chapur was grounds for the First Lady to divorce her unfaithful husband.
Jenny Sanford talks about her impending divorce here:
The Sanford's are currently working out details of their divorce settlement before Judge Cate issues the divorce decree and official paperwork next month.
The South Carolina Governor's affair appears to have cast doubts on any future political aspirations that he may once have envisioned.
You can read First Lady Jenny Sanford's divorce complaint against South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford here:
- Judge Grants Jenny Sanford Divorce Plea, The State (SC) (Feb. 26, 2010)
- SC FIrst Lady Claims Adultery Against Gov. Mark Sanford, FindLaw (Dec. 11, 2009)
- Missing SC Governor Returns, Reuters (June 24, 2009)
- Gov. Sanford Issues Follow-Up Statement, Office of the Governor, S.C. (June 24, 2009)
- Divorce Information, FindLaw
- Divorce: Do You Need a Lawyer?,
You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help
Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.