Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Anthony Sowell Waives His Right to a Speedy Trial

By Kamika Dunlap on December 10, 2009 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

During his latest pretrial hearing, suspected Ohio serial killer Anthony Sowell waived his right to a speedy trial in order to accommodate his new defense team.

He also agreed to let police fence off the house with barbed wire to preserve evidence, CNN reports

The waiver of his right to a speedy trial now pushes any trial back to at least mid-2010.

As previously discussed, Sowell, 50, pleaded guilty last week by reason of insanity. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.

He faces 85 counts including murder, rape and kidnapping charges following the discovery of the remains at his home.

The remains of 11 women, all African American, were found buried in and around Sowell's house in Cleveland.

In addition to the judge granting a motion to preserve the crime scene by fencing off the residence, Assistant Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Richard Bombik said the state hasn't ruled out asking the court to allow the trial jury to visit the house.

Health considerations would be a factor in any decision about a jury walkthrough, he added.

At the hearing, Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Judge Timothy McGinty denied a gag order requested by the defense. The gag order would have barred attorneys and police in the case from commenting publicly.

The judge also denied a request for a change of venue, telling attorneys he expects them to follow rules of professional conduct.

A registered sex offender, Sowell served 15 years in prison before being released in 2005.

His next court appearance is scheduled for December 21.

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard