Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Armored Car Guard Executes Partner, Steals $2M

By Stephanie Rabiner, Esq. on March 02, 2012 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Police are still looking for Ken Konias, Jr., a Pittsburgh armored car guard wanted for robbery and homicide. The 22-year-old is accused of shooting his partner in the head and then stealing approximately $2 million from the truck.

Investigators believe he may be headed to Canada or Mexico, having made phone calls to his mother and a friend as he fled the area. Though his mother has not revealed the contents of their conversation, the friend reports Konias asked about extradition laws.

If he is caught and extradited back to the U.S., just how will Ken Konias be sentenced for his alleged crimes?

 Right now, prosecutors believe the robbery and murder were planned, reports MSNBC. His partner, Michael Haines, was shot at close range in the back of the head. There are also reports that Haines was acting strangely at his last pickup.

If prosecutors are able to convince a jury that the murder was premeditated, Konias may find himself convicted of first-degree murder. Under Pennsylvania law, he'd be eligible for the death penalty.

If the death penalty is part of Ken Konias' sentence, chances are it won't be carried out. The state has only executed 3 people since 1978, when it reinstituted the death penalty. There are 215 inmates currently on death row, and some of them have been there for as long as 27 years.

The other option is life in prison, with or without the possibility of parole. So even if the death penalty isn't part of Ken Konias' sentence, he has a high chance of dying in jail if he is ever caught.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard