Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

CA County Supervisor Arrested for Rape

By Laura Strachan, Esq. on September 27, 2010 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

CA Country Supervisor Arrested for Rape. That's the headline coming out of Kings County, California. 40 year-old Richard Valle has been arrested and charged with the rape of an unidentified woman.

According to the Fresno Bee, the victim called authorities around 3:30 a.m. to report the encounter. She accused Valle of performing oral sex on her while she was unconscious. The former marine is also charged with sexual penetration of an unconscious victim. Valle posted the $300,000 bail but has not commented on the arrest or the charges against him.

Valle has served on the Board of Supervisors since 2008, and is currently the sitting chairman. Sexual assault and rape charges may change that status. Defendants found guilty of sexual assault not only receive prison time and heavy fines, but may also have to register as a sex offender. Local Police Chief Reuben Shortnancy commented on the nature of the relationship between Valle and the victim,"They were acquainted, they were not romantically involved and all indications were that they were friends. They have known each other for quite some time. Like any other situation, he is innocent until proven guilty."

Lack of consent is a necessary element in every rape. This can take on various manifestations, including: physical compulsion, intoxication, or in this case, the fact that the women was unconscious at the time of the sexual encounter is evidence of an absolute inability to consent to anything. The District Attorney is expected to file charges soon.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard