Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Iowa Gun Law: Concealed Guns Flooding Streets

By Jason Beahm on February 01, 2011 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Guess what happened after the new Iowa gun law went into effect? Yes, the law allowing you to carry your gun concealed or openly in public with a permit?

A whole lot of Iowans showed up to apply for the gun permits.

Iowa has now become a state with a "shall-issue" gun policy, which requires the state to issue a permit if the person meets objective criteria, which is a fee, a background check, fingerprinting, and training, ABC 6 NEWS reports. Veterans can substitute their experience for gun training in many situations.

Under the new law, there are no restrictions on who can purchase a gun permit, as long as they don't have a criminal record for a felony or domestic violence convictions, a mental illness and or one of another very specific legal grounds. A gun permit costs $50 for a new permit and $25 to renew.

Previously, under Iowa gun law, county sheriffs could reject an application for almost any reason, UPI reports.

"You don't have to come and tell us why you want to purchase a gun anymore, that's your personal business, we issue without justification now," says Sheriff's Clerk Julie Johnson, who added the number of applications are up statewide.

So with all these new gun permit holders on the street, should the people of Iowa be concerned about an increase in shootings?

Not according to John Lott, who recently published the third edition of "More Guns, Less Crime." "The more [permits] issued, the more criminals are going to be afraid to attack other people," he told The Washington Times.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard