Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Man Strangled Girlfriend With Dreadlocks: Police

By Andrew Lu on January 10, 2013 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

An assault with a dreadly weapon? A Portland, Oregon, man was arrested this week after he allegedly tried to strangle his girlfriend with his dreadlocks.

Police say Caleb Grotberg, 32, tried to choke his girlfriend after a domestic dispute.

The woman was taken to a hospital and was treated for her injuries. Grotberg now faces domestic violence-related charges of kidnapping, attempted assault, assault, menacing, and strangulation, reports The Oregonian. Of note, Grotberg was not charged with assault with a deadly weapon.

While the fact that Grotberg allegedly tried to strangle his girlfriend with his own hair may be funny, domestic violence (as you know) is no laughing matter.

Domestic violence is rarely ever a single isolated incident. Instead, it is usually a series of progressively more violent acts that occur over a period of time. Sadly, domestic violence often ends in tragedy.

For those who are trapped in an abusive relationship, you should know that there are steps you can take to protect yourself, especially when violence escalates.

For example, you can obtain a temporary restraining order or protective order against the violent party. You can seek out these orders regardless of your relationship. So you can be a wife or husband, girlfriend or boyfriend, daughter or son, roommates, or even the daughter of the allegedly abusive person.

Under a court order, the abusive party will be ordered to stay away and could potentially face jail time for violating the order.

In cases of immediate violence or harm, victims of domestic violence are urged to contact the police and call 911. After police diffuse the situation, you can always seek a protective order later.

If you have questions about protective orders and other domestic violence issues, you may want to contact an experienced lawyer near you.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard