Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

NY Senator Gets Probation and Domestic Abuse Counseling

By Kamika Dunlap on December 10, 2009 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

State Sen. Hiram Monserrate won't spend anytime behind bars for the domestic assault of his girlfriend, in which he dragged her through his apartment lobby.

Instead, the Queens politician was sentenced to three years probation and domestic abuse counseling.

According to Newsday, Queens Supreme Court Judge William Erlbaum ordered the NY Senator to serve 250 hours of community service and domestic abuse counseling to deal with jealousy and anger issues. He also was ordered to pay fines of more than $1,000.

Monserrate, an ex-cop, was convicted of misdemeanor assault for dragging his bleeding girlfriend Karla Giraldo through the lobby of his apartment building.

Giraldo said it was an accident when Monserrate smashed a glass into her face, causing bloody injuries that required 40 stitches.

Since the incident the couple have been under a court order not to see each other.

During the sentencing Giraldo asked to have to the order lifted and that the two planned to marry, but the judge kept the protection order in place.

The judge said he would be willing to lift the protection order if the couple could prove that they could address their problems. He also suggested that Giraldo seek therapy.

Although Monserrate's sentencing is resolution of a yearlong legal drama, his troubles may not be over.

A Senate committee is looking into whether the NY Senator is fit to remain in the Legislature.

Also, some lawmakers and other public officials have called for Monserrate's resignation.

If convicted of a felony, the freshman Democrat could have lost his seat automatically.

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard