Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Teacher Melinda Dennehy Guilty of 'Sexting' Student

By Jason Beahm on July 27, 2010 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Melinda Dennehy, a former high school teacher, has pleaded guilty to emailing nude photographs of herself to a 15-year-old male student. Dennehy, 41, of Hampstead, New Hampshire pleaded guilty to misdemeanor indecent exposure.

The story began in March when nude photos of Melinda Dennehy, who taught sophomore English, were passed around the high school. Dennehy resigned three weeks after the photos circulated. Police later determined that Dennehy sent four posed photos to the 15-year-old male student with her genitals exposed.

The student confirmed to police that Dennehy texted him with descriptions of specific sexual acts she wanted to perform with him. According to the student, the story went far beyond the Melinda Dennehy photos. The teacher continuously sent him text messages" and "kissed him twice on two separate occasions" on school grounds.

Dennehy was issued a one year suspended sentence as long as she remains on good behavior, stays away from the high school and has no contact with the child. She told the court she is undergoing counseling and apologized for her actions. "I am truly sorry for my actions and poor judgment ... I wish the student and his family well ... I am hopeful that all of my students will go forward to live enriched lives ... I plan to continue with counseling and treatment and will endeavor to lead a productive life."

Melinda Dennehy was able to avoid a felony conviction, registration as a sex offender and up to seven years in prison by pleading guilty to the misdemeanor.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard