Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Which Crimes Can Get Legal Immigrants Deported?

By Stephanie Rabiner, Esq. on May 31, 2012 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

In February, a top Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) official admitted that the department has turned its attention to undocumented immigrants who commit crimes in the U.S. These people are first in line to be deported.

But the reality is that you don't need to be undocumented to be deported for a crime. The U.S. can revoke your green card or work visa if you are convicted of a specific type of crime even though you are legally in the country.

Under the Immigration and Nationality Act, certain convictions make aliens ineligible for admission into the United States. This includes convictions for drug offenses, sex offenses, fraud, theft, aggravated felonies, weapons possession, crimes of moral turpitude and domestic violence. Many crimes punishable by more than one year of confinement are also part of this list.

Just because you're already in the U.S., it doesn't mean that this law does not apply to you. It does. If you are in the U.S. legally, you can still lose your status. Immigration officials may choose to revoke your green card or work visa if they are notified of your conviction. This also means you can be deported for the crime.

Moreover, a conviction will hamper an immigrant's ability to stay in this country permanently. People who apply for citizenship or permanent resident status may be denied if they have a criminal record.

The reality is that U.S. citizens are the only individuals who can safely commit a crime and remain in this country. All immigrants, legal or not, can be deported for a crime if it's serious enough.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard