Fourth Circuit to Hold Hearing at UVA Law School on March 23
The Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals will hold oral arguments at the University of Virginia (UVA) Law School Caplin Auditorium on March 23, 2012. A Fourth Circuit panel holds an appellate argument session at the University every three years.
The court will hear four cases during the special session in March.
- US v. Robert Hansen. A Fourth Amendment challenge questioning whether police officers had probable cause for a vehicle search, and whether the exclusionary rule applies to the officers' reasonable interpretation of an unsettled area of Virginia state law.
- Intermet Corp. v. United Steel, Paper & Forestry. Reviewing whether a district court erred in granting Intermet's motion for summary judgment and vacating an abritrator's award in a dispute over pro rata payment of vacation benefits under the terms of a collective bargaining agreement.
- Greenbelt Ventures, LLC v. Washington. Reviewing sovereign immunity, the statute of frauds, and other issues relating to Greenbelt Ventures' lawsuit against the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority -- the body which operates the D.C. Metro system -- over a stalled development near the Greenbelt Metrorail station in Maryland.
Oral arguments will begin at 9:00 a.m. EST. Driving directions and campus maps are available on the UVA Law School website.
The event is free and open to the public, although no cameras, recorders, laptops, or backpacks are permitted. For more information, contact Teri Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on cases before the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals, add FindLaw's Fourth Circuit blog to your RSS feed.
- Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals (US Courts)
- Federal Judicial Center Guide Wins Thomas Jefferson Award (FindLaw's Fourth Circuit blog)
- Judiciary Committee Approves Stephanie Thacker's Nomination (FindLaw's Fourth Circuit blog)
- UVA Law School (Official Website)
You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help
Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.