A Rap About LRAP
So when they said you've got pay to play
Did they mean by going to law school night and day
And forking over more than $90k
Even when you want to go the public service way?
Well, before you start feeling all down and out
And start questioning what pro bono is all about
There's something you really ought to know
And luckily this rhyme is about to tell you so
LRAP, oooh, LRAP
L is the Loan you're gonna need
And A is the Assistance that will lead
To R - Repayment - so you can serve the publico
Through a - P - Program to keep it economico
Over 100 law schools are in the LRAP scene
To find out about yours, check with the Dean
But not all LRAPS were created the same
With law schools, employers, and states all up in the game
So do your homework before you bite
And know there's support to keep up your fight
To serve the public in a way that's respectable
And let you manage your finances...to keep you electable.
Ooh, it's LRAP.
- Lifting the Burden: Law Student Debt as a Barrier to Public Service, The Final Report of the ABA Commission on Loan Repayment and Forgiveness [PDF] (American Bar Association)
- State LRAP Tool Kit: A Resource Guide for Creating State Loan Repayment Assistance Programs for Public Service Lawyers [ABA] (American Bar Association)
- List of Law School Loan Repayment Assistance Programs (Equal Justice Works)
- Student Debt Podcast Series (Equal Justice Works)
- Law School Repayment Assistance Programs (Equal Justice Works)
- A Greedy Proposal: Forgive Student Loan Debt So We Can Buy Stuff (FindLaw's Greedy Associates)
- Why You Should Do Pro Bono Work (FindLaw's Greedy Associates)
You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help
Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.