Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Ex-Partner Sues Law Firm: Another Partner Had Affair with Wife

By Cynthia Hsu, Esq. on January 19, 2012 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Two former partners of Edwards Wildman Palmer, a law firm based in Boston, have sued its managing partner Walter Reed.

The allegations are racy -- and sexy.

The two partners who sued are Jay Rosenbaum and Lawrence Cohen. Cohen is married to Laurie Hall, who is also a partner at Edwards Wildman. Cohen says his wife was having an affair with Reed.

It's the stuff of all associates' fantasies: two law partners, engaging in an illicit love affair. Well, it's either the stuff of dreams of the stuff of nightmares. Take your pick.

Whatever your case, Cohen is suing Reed because he claims he was forced out of the firm last year because of the affair. Cohen says he was excluded from certain firm events. This included weekend leadership retreats.

It probably didn't help his reputation that the "affair" became public in November. Hall and Reed reportedly told firm partners about their relationship. They also announced their intention to divorce their respective spouses.

A classy move, for sure. Though, it probably made for an awkward meeting -- especially if Cohen was invited.

How does Rosenbaum factor into this scenario? No, it wasn't some sort of kinky threesome situation. Instead, Rosenbaum alleges that he lost clients since some were "inextricably linked" to Cohen. Rosenbaum claims he had no choice but to resign after Cohen left.

Cohen and Rosenbaum's suit claims breach of fiduciary duty and constructive discharge.

Though the two attorneys seem to be faring well post-Edwards Wildman. Both are now partners at BigLaw firm Nixon Peabody. In short: they're still raking in the dough.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard