Kickstarter for Law School Tuition and a Documentary? LOL
There are so many hilarious things about this, that I don't even know where to begin.
Curtis Fox, a magna cum laude graduate of Winston-Salem State University with a BA degree in Political Science, a concentration in Public Administration and a Business Administration minor, has a dream of going to law school. (Strike one. Kidding.) His Kickstarter says that he is starting law school in the fall (though it doesn't say where).
Fox he wants your help. His crowdfunding campaign seeks money for a documentary about the costs of law school, plus some of the money will be used for matriculation.
You're Doing it Wrong
My gut reaction, after the "why law school" joke? You graduated magna cum laude -- what the heck do you need crowdfunding for? If you did even halfway decent on the LSAT, you should be rocking a full scholarship. If not, take a year off, retake the test, and try again -- law school is not worth the sticker price.
In fact, for anyone considering law school, it is only worth it if:
- You get into a top-5 to maybe a top-15 school, or
- You get a near-full scholarship, or
- You are really into public interest work, or
- Mom and Dad are making you go, and paying, or
- You have absolutely no other career prospects whatsoever.
If this is simply a way to pay for school, then yeah, you're doing it wrong. If it's about the documentary, on the other hand, well ... maybe that'd be interesting.
Pay This Man Some Money
I'm poking fun, but seriously, I get it -- low income family, first generation college -- been there. And as much as I kid people about not going to law school, it was my dream and I've actively encouraged my brother to do the same. (He's Class of 2017 -- the job market has to be better by then, right?) If being a lawyer is your calling, go for it.
And folks, if some dingbat can get $50,968 (with two weeks remaining) for a potato salad, this guy should get some ducats too -- an education is a far more worthy cause than an Internet joke gone viral.
- #DearFindLaw: How Do I Decline an Offer from a Law Firm? (FindLaw's Greedy Associates Blog)
- It's Official, We Have a Girl Crush on Christine Lagarde (FindLaw's Greedy Associates Blog)
- Iowa's Debating No Bar Exam for In State Grads; What About UBE? (FindLaw's Greedy Associates Blog)
- Spend more time developing practice skills and less time advertising. (FindLaw Lawyer Marketing)
You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help
Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.