Lawyers Under 30 More Accomplished Than You, According to Forbes
It's the new year. You've probably made new year's resolutions to really do something with your life. Well, the following piece will either give you a much needed kick in the pants, or will make you feel really useless.
Every year, Forbes releases its "30 under 30 for Law and Policy," which highlights the movers and shakers aged under 30. This year, some of our fellow officers of the court made the list.
Let's Get Some Perspective
David Lat, who writes for Above the Law, opined in 2015 that the moniker "30 under 30 for Law and Policy" has the danger of leaning a bit more on the "policy" side of things. Why? What could a lawyer possibly have accomplished before 30? Thus, the list has tended to focus on the obvious areas of change in today's society: technology and political up-and-comers.
A 26 Percent Hit Rate. Impressive.
It appears that there are at least eight JDs on the under 30 list. That's a little over a quarter of the names. Here are the CVs of just a few:
- Haben Girma: Haben is a staff attorney a the Disability Rights Advocates where she advances the rights of disabled persons. She is remarkable because she became the first person in history of Harvard Law School to graduate deaf and blind.
- Joe Mornin: Joe graduated from Berkeley's Boalt Hall and is the founder of BestLaw, a free and open-source platform that helps attorneys be attorneys -- bluebook citations, legal research, etc.
- Anisha Singh: Anisha is a campaign manager at the Center for American progress where she is active in advancing the civil interests of Muslims and Sikhs.
- Dan Harawa: Another impressive individual, Daniel graduated Georgetown and is an appellate staff attorney at Public Defender Services for DC. He won a case before the D.C. Court of Appeals which overturned a 140-year-old precedent.
Let's all collectively applaud our fellow law brethren (JDs and Esqs alike) for going out there and representing us well. Now if we can only get our own rears in gear...
- 30 Under 30: The Top Young Lawyers And Policymakers (2016) (Above the Law)
- Two Law Schools Added to the Dept. of Ed.'s Hit List for 2016 (FindLaw's Greedy Associates)
- Northwestern University Law Renamed 'Pritzker Law School' for $100M (FindLaw's Greedy Associates)
- HDFury Sued by Warner Bros. for Product That Copies 4K Video (FindLaw's Technologist)
You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help
Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.