Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Oh Happy Day, $190,000 Starting Pay!

By William Vogeler, Esq. on June 11, 2018 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

There's nothing quite like a pay raise to lift your spirits.

And with law firms raising starting salaries to all-time highs for new associates, it's a time for rejoicing. No more recession blues for those law graduates who make it to the top-paying law firms.

"Oh Happy Day," Christmas came early with big-time pay!

$190,000 to Start

Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy rolled out the red carpet first, offering new associates $190,000 to start. Because lawyers are competitive by nature, other firms soon followed:

  • Proskauer Rose
  • Winston & Strawn
  • Simpson Tacher & Bartlett
  • Barack Ferrazano
  • Jones Day
  • Irell & Manell

Not to be outdone, boutique law firm Hueston Hennigan was the first in California to match the salary hike. It's a good sign for new lawyers, but also for the profession in general.

The past ten years have been rough, as the economy winnowed out law jobs and steered students clear of law schools. But now is a good time to be a new lawyer, and it will be even better this summer.

Mid-Year Bonuses

Who needs Christmas when some firms are sweetening the pot with mid-year bonuses?

Simpson Thacher will pay $5,000 for new associates and $25,000 for more experienced attorneys. Just in time for summer vacation -- as if.

Seriously, many associates will bank vacation days while they make bank. At Milbank, for example, first- through third-year associates will get a $10,000 pay raise. Fourth- through eight-year, $15,000.

You can hear the chorus now: "Time to double-up on student loan payments!"

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard