Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Boom Boom Room Waitresses Not Hot, Tall Enough?

By Jason Beahm on January 27, 2011 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

We recently covered the tale of a Chicago car salesman who was fired for wearing a Green Bay Packers tie. Now two New York Boom Boom Room cocktail waitresses claim they were fired because they did not look enough like "willowy, svelte and statuesque runway models."

Faye Rex and Stephanie Jaggers, former Boom Boom Room waitresses are suing The Standard Hotel over allegedly only hiring women with model looks.

"There's definitely a type at the Boom Boom Room - and that type is beautiful, tall and skinny ... They were excellent employees who were terminated for one reason - their body type." said Richard Roth, a lawyer for the women, the New York Daily News reports.

According to the suit, after The Standard completed a summer renovation the hotel began demanding model looks for the new upscale club called the Top of the Standard. Despite previously receiving position job reviews, the women say they were suddenly told that their work was not "up to par," shortly before being terminated.

Employing exclusively beautiful people isn't illegal in and of itself. However, creating a process whereby you hire only beautiful people without running afoul of other laws often proves exceedingly difficult. In this case, the women contend that the "beauty policy," only applied to female employees. The women are suing the hotel for over $1 million based on accusations of gender discrimination. They seek more than $1 million in damages.

"If they had the same requirements for men, there would be no lawsuit." Roth said.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard