Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Employment Contract Breach: Jon Exits, Leaving Kate Plus 8

By Neetal Parekh on September 30, 2009 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Reality show employment contracts are kept under tight wrap from the public eye, but once in a while we are able to piece together their contents by unexpected changes to shows.  Jon Gosselin of the TLC show "Jon and Kate Plus 8" has become the subject of an employment contract gone sour, and the show's multi-million viewer fan base has seemingly eroded along with the contract agreement.

The family show "Jon and Kate Plus 8" originally followed the married couple as they raised their 8 children.  However, in recent months the separation, pending divorce, and off-screen misadventures of the couple have strained relations between dad Jon Gosselin and the network.  It is reported that TLC informed Gosselin that he violated the morals clause of his contract for his affairs, erratic behavior, and possible mismanagement of family finances.  By many indications, Jon Gosselin himself may have been seeking ways to free him from the contract. 

Perhaps both parties got their wishes. Jon Gosselin has been dropped from the title of the show, which will continue under the new name "Kate Plus 8".  A "morals clause" is not a common clause in an employment contract, but if it was validly contract into by both parties, then its violation would be grounds for breach.  Whether or not TLC is treating this as a breach or whether the parties have renegotiated contract terms, TLC likely won't let Jon cut all ties from the show.  In fact it is reported that Gosselin may remain associated with "Kate Plus 8", making occasional appearances. 

What should you do in the event of breach of an employment contract?

A breach of contract occurs when one party fails to perform according to the terms of a contract.  This could include violating a term of the contract, failing to fulfill a term of the contract, or not performing at all. 

In the event of a breach of contract, the party that suffered the breach can move to formally have the original terms enforced.  This can be done by pursuing remedies for breach of contract in the court system with the legal representation of an attorney.  Resolution can also be sought outside of the court system, with the assistance of a mediator or arbitrator. 

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard