Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Gold Teeth Added to Saratoga HS Yearbook Photo

By Stephanie Rabiner, Esq. on June 17, 2011 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Students at Saratoga Springs High School in upstate New York were a bit amused on Tuesday when the 2011 Saratoga yearbook was released and visibly missing two photos.

To rectify a prank that left senior Maya Kurchner with two gold teeth, after getting permission from both Maya and a fellow student, school staff spent the last day of class cutting her picture out of 1,000 yearbooks.

The school's principal was made aware of the doctored photo on Tuesday when he was greeted by Maya Kurchner's father and attorney, reports The Saratogian.

A few early copies of the Saratoga yearbook and a Facebook photo had alerted the student to the prank.

According to the paper, no one is exactly sure who put the gold teeth on Maya Kurchner, but there seems to be some belief that it was an error, as the entire editing process was completed online.

Either way, police are now investigating with the help of the state's computer crimes unit.

This is not the first school prank to turn into a criminal investigation and it certainly won't be the last.

Though such pranks are often a rite of passage and are highly amusing, they oftentimes cross the line into criminal behavior. Vandalism, computer tampering, and harassment are just a few of the possible charges levied against a school prankster.

They can also get a student kicked out of school.

Luckily, Maya Kurchner doesn't seem to be too upset about being cut out of the Saratoga yearbook, but if officials find out who caused such an event, that person is likely to wish it never happened.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard