Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

La. Family's Sign Supports Marine Son: Gets Sued

By Stephanie Rabiner, Esq. on July 27, 2011 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

When Corey Burr shipped off to Afghanistan in January as a member of the U.S. Marines, his parents erected a banner in their front yard displaying his picture and reading, "Our son defends our freedom."

Residents of Bossier City, Louisiana, the Burrs live in a community that is governed by Gardens of Southgate Association, a homeowners' association.

The association claims the banner is against the rules.

Like most HOAs, Gardens of Southgate restricts lawn signs, limiting their size.

Despite the banner exceeding this limit, Reuters reports that the Burrs have refused to remove it from their front lawn. They are now being sued.

Their main contention is that the HOA has unevenly enforced its sign restrictions, and thus cannot suddenly decided to do so now.

They also allege that the restriction violates their First Amendment rights.

Residents tangling with homeowners' associations is a recurring theme in First Amendment jurisprudence, with lawsuits covering signs, pride flags, and even American flags.

Unfortunately, courts are anything but conclusive in this area of law.

Some, like the Supreme Court of New Jersey, have ruled that HOAs can enforce only reasonable restrictions on free speech.

Others, including the 11th Circuit, have chosen to completely allow such regulations.

Legislators have also often entered the equation, passing laws that require HOAs to allow the display of patriotic garb.

Because of such disjointed jurisprudence, whether the banner supporting Corey Burr will be able to remain ultimately depends on a web of state statutes and court opinions, and in some ways, on the response of the greater community.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard