Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Court Bans Man From Owning a Dog After Puppy Got Drunk

By Stephanie Rabiner, Esq. on January 11, 2012 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Doggie alcoholism -- it's a problem. In fact, it's such a major concern in the U.K. that a British court has barred a man from owning a dog for 3 years.

Prosecutors hauled Matthew Cox in front of a judge this week on charges of failing to ensure animal welfare. Police found Max, his Labrador puppy, stumbling around town on August 22.

He had drunk a vodka-heavy Coke.

Max didn't resist arrest, but he continued to stagger and fall over while police took him to an emergency veterinarian, reports the Associated Press. The sloppy drunk was then placed on an IV drip for approximately 10 hours.

After an investigation, police learned that Matthew Cox had left his vodka and Coke on the floor, explains the Daily Mail. As alcoholic puppies tend to do, Max moved in and drank it up. But instead of caring for his drunken friend, Cox left.

Matthew Cox eventually took responsibility for the lightweight Max and pleaded guilty to all charges. The judge called the incident "downright stupid" and banned him from owning pets.

Similar sentences are handed down here in the U.S., where animal abuse is a much bigger problem than doggie alcoholism. In fact, an Oregon judge handed such a sentence last month. He banned two men from owning pets for 5 years as part of a sentence for first-degree animal neglect.

Though his actions were nowhere near first-degree neglect, Matthew Cox still probably would have received a similar sentence in the U.S. It's just not okay to provide alcohol to minor canines.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard