Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Dad Arrested for Pot Stash Found in Son's Elmo Backpack

By Kamika Dunlap on April 09, 2010 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Ronald Washington admitted it was dumb to leave a stash of nearly four ounces of marijuana in his son's Elmo backpack.

Police arrested Washington, 33, after he called the school to ask if his son arrived because something was accidentally left in his Elmo backpack, the Philadelphia Inquirer reports.

That prompted school officials to search the Sesame Street bag. Inside they found the 6-year-old boy's homework and two plastic baggies containing 105 grams of marijuana.

When Washington arrived at the school, state troopers were waiting to arrest him. The Pennsylvania man was arrested for allegedly showing up at an elementary school to retrieve nearly four ounces of pot from his son's Elmo backpack.

"It was something dumb," Washington told authorities who took him into custody.

Officials said a very strong marijuana odor was being emitted from the book bag.

Washington was charged with possession of a controlled substance, possession with intent to deliver, and disorderly conduct.

Federal and state drug possession laws make it a crime to willfully possess illegal controlled substances such as marijuana.

Washington's sister said that she was surprised to hear about the incident because her brother is raising two kids by himself and he does pretty well as a father and single parent. 

She said she thinks the whole thing was a mistake. 

Washington however, was arraigned before District Judge Joseph George. Washington's bail was set at $100,000.

The judge justified the high bail because the drugs were found at a school. 

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard