Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Detroit Man Arrested for Posing as a Cop

By Kamika Dunlap on January 26, 2010 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Bizarre and bold.

That's how some officials describe the case involving a 51-year-old Detroit man arrested for posing as a cop.

According to the Detroit Free Press, the man impersonating a Detroit police officer apparently interrupted a prostitution sting conducted by the Wayne County Sheriff's Office.

As a female decoy officer was talking to a potential customer, the 51-year-old suspect flashed a badge and yelled at the undercover detective to "get off the street," the Detroit paper reports.

When the woman revealed herself as an officer, the man sped off in a red pickup but was stopped a short distance away.

A search of the man's truck uncovered a loaded .40-caliber gun, a Detroit Police Department badge and clothing with a police department logos, authorities said.

"This is a very bizarre situation that could have become deadly," said Sheriff Benny Napoleon in the statement.  "This guy was so bold as to interrupt officers conducting a sting!..."

In general, police impersonation involves the act of portraying oneself as a member of the police for the purpose of deception. Impersonations can include verbal identification to an unsuspecting victim as an officer, carrying a fake badge, wearing a fake uniform or driving a vehicle with fake decals or equipment to disguise a personal vehicle as a police.

The man is in jail and his arraignment is pending. He faces one count of impersonating an officer. Officials are investigating to determine whether the badge and gun were stolen. Additional charges could be brought against the suspect.

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard