Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Drinking is a 'Handicap:' Florida State Exec Sues School for $75K

By Stephanie Rabiner, Esq. on August 22, 2011 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Frank Stephenson, a former director of research communications at Florida State University, has sued the school alleging that he was wrongfully terminated once administrators were made aware of his battle with alcohol.

The FSU lawsuit, which is premised on the American's with Disabilities Act, requests $75,000 in damages, and claims that the university should have provided Stephenson with a reasonable accommodation for his "handicap of alcoholism."

The school learned of Stephenson's alcoholism when a subordinate complained of verbal abuse and mistreatment, pinning it to his after-hours drinking habit, according to the complaint.

Despite completing his job duties at a high level and having no history of such allegations, the FSU lawsuit alleges that he was fired as a result of his alcoholism.

Strangely enough, alcoholism is a disability under the ADA, meaning that employees cannot be fired for their alcohol dependence so long as they adequately complete their duties and the use of alcohol does not impact performance or conduct.

Alcoholics are also entitled to reasonable accommodations, though it's unclear what kind of reasonable accommodation was requested by Frank Stephenson, as the complaint makes no mention of such a request.

This may actually be a problem for Stephenson's suit.

Ordinarily, an employee must ask for a reasonable accommodation unless it's obvious to the employer that one is needed.

This, however, first requires that the employee suffer from a disability that impairs his ability to know of, and communicate a need for, an accommodation.

If Frank Stephenson was the stellar employee that the FSU lawsuit suggests, shouldn't he have known to ask despite his alcoholism?

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard