Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

FL Pothead Pulls Gun on Girlfriend After She Breaks His Bong

By Andrew Chow, Esq. on July 19, 2012 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

A Florida pothead's broken bong led to his arrest for allegedly pulling a gun on his girlfriend and choking her, The Gainesville Sun reports.

Officers arrested Brandon Chviek, 20, of Gainesville, after his live-in girlfriend walked into the local sheriff's office showing off bruises and scratches. Investigators found Chviek at the couple's apartment.

Chviek also had scratches on his face and neck, and told police he'd been goofing around with friends. But officers had reason to believe he was just blowing smoke.

After Brandon Chviek's girlfriend broke his bong, which he allegedly used to smoke marijuana, he became "enraged," the Gainesville bong arrest report states.

Chviek allegedly grabbed a semiautomatic handgun and pointed it at his girlfriend in a threatening manner. She told police she thought she was going to die.

She also told police the gun had an altered serial number, which is illegal to possess under Florida law. That's probably why Chviek denied owning a gun; police did not find one at his home.

What they did find was bullets matching the alleged gun's caliber, and signs of a struggle. Chviek allegedly knocked his girlfriend to the ground, then pinned her down and choked her until she almost passed out, police said.

Chviek faces charges of domestic battery, strangulation, aggravated assault, and possession of drug paraphernalia. If the gun turns up, he could also face possible misdemeanor charges of possessing a firearm with an altered serial number, or even a felony if he altered it himself.

It's not clear if Brandon Chviek of Gainesville was high or otherwise intoxicated before his broken bong arrest. In general, intoxication can be used as a defense to some types of crimes, but usually only if a person was intoxicated against his will.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard