Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Girl, 9, Attacks Cop in School Bus Tantrum, Faces Felony Charges

By Cynthia Hsu, Esq. on November 07, 2011 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

It's not that often that a 9-year-old girl attacks a cop, spits on a bus driver, throws rocks at a school bus, and yells profanities. All of this happened during one incident. The school bus tantrum first started when the elementary school child was told to stop eating candy on the bus.

The girl, a fourth grader at the Royal Palms School in Fort Myers, Florida, didn't take too kindly to the bus driver giving her orders.

She got so mad that she yelled obscenities. She threatened to hit other children. She then started throwing asphalt at the bus.

Later, when an officer arrived, she warned that she would hurt him. She then flung an aluminum patio chair at him.

One wonders how the fourth grader has so much strength and energy. Did she eat an extra helping of Frosted Flakes for breakfast? Or maybe she was simply still on a sugar high after eating all that candy on the bus. Those post-Halloween buzz can be quite frightening.

Whatever the case, the girl was charged with several felonies including:

  • battery on a public school employee,
  • resisting arrest with violence,
  • battery on a law enforcement officer, and
  • throwing a deadly missile into an occupied vehicle.

Most likely, the nine-year-old won't be facing jail time. Children typically have to be a certain age before they can be held criminally responsible. The fourth grader might end up in juvenile court, though.

For now, the girl who attacked a cop and went on a school bus tantrum has been released to her parent's custody. She was placed on home detention for 21 days.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard